You've been an agent for a year or two and the ride has been incredible. You like the business, the relationships and the challenges. But suddenly, you realize insurance can be complicated, confusing and even sometimes frustrating.
Insurance is complex. Simply complying with annual continuing education requirements or some of the accidental learning that happens with time and experience won't get you to where you want or need to be professionally. New agents need to take control of their training and make learning and professional development a priority.
But good news: The Big "I" Virtual University (VU) can help. The VU has partnered with the Agent Broker Education Network (ABEN) platform to produce a new program with 24 hours of training that helps agents take control of learning and get intentional about professional growth. Like other VU education, the program is designed to meet agents where they need it and allows users to customize and control through the wide variety of sessions and topics available.
The training program, Basics and Beyond, offers two levels:
Basic – Risk and Insurance Basics for Insurance Professionals
- Session 1: Risk, Risk Management and Insurance: Why Agents Are NOT Risk Managers (three hours)
- Session 2: Understanding the Insurance Industry: From Regulations to Operations (three hours)
- Session 3: The Law of Insurance Contracts and the 'Rules' of Policy Interpretation (three hours)
- Session 4: Torts, Negligence and Legal Liability (three hours)
Beyond Basic – Beyond Basic Insurance Concepts for All Insurance Professionals
- Session 5: The Basics of Contractual Risk Transfer, Additional Insureds and Certificates of Insurance (four hours)
- Session 6: Premium Auditing – What Every Agent Must Know (two hours)
- Session 7: The Basics of Commercial Property Underwriting and Rating: COPE (three hours)
- Session 8: The Basics of Property Values and Coinsurance Conditions (three hours)
Take each session individually, or a few as a bundle, or the complete set—bulk discounts are available. Whether you're a new agent, young agent or a veteran who would like to revisit these concepts, this training can help elevate your education, escalate your confidence and ease frustration.
Check out the session descriptions and the ABEN catalog for more details. For more information, contact VU staff.