Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Jan 24
Help Home Businesses Weather the Storm

​Anyone who's turned on the news in recent months has seen reports of severe weather events around the country. Inland floods, mudslides, windstorms and forest fires are becoming more frequent and severe—and unfortunately, many who experience them lack adequate coverage. 

That's where you come in. You can protect your home business clients by ensuring that they are covered with a home business policy. Insureds often believe their existing homeowners or apartment-dwellers policy will cover any loss or damage to their business equipment, furniture and supplies in the event of a catastrophe. However, those policies usually explicitly exclude coverage for any business exposure on the premises.

A home business policy from RLI can protect against losses to business personal property and business income and cover extra expenses incurred in the event of a covered weather-related occurrence. Policies can also be endorsed to carry inland flood coverage in eligible locations. 

Popular home business classes include:

  • Residential inspection services
  • Teachers and tutors
  • Photographers
  • Accounting services
  • Bakers
  • Computer consultants
  • Interior designers
  • Costume jewelry makers
  • Art galleries and studios
  • Craftspeople
  • Personal assistants
  • Wedding officiates
  • Knife sharpeners

Note that all classes are subject to further underwriting guidelines. View a full list of over 140 business classifications. Be sure to use our home business declination form to document if coverage is offered and declined. 

Learn more on the Home Business webpage or by logging in to Big “I" Markets. ​


There are no comments for this post.
​127 South Peyton Street
Alexandria VA 22314
​phone: 800.221.7917
fax: 703.683.7556

Follow Us!

Empowering Trusted Choice®
Independent Insurance Agents.​