The whiskey enthusiasts among your clients have taken great care in building and maintaining their collections. When it comes to protecting collections, AIG Private Client Group, a division of the member companies of American International Group Inc. (AIG), is equally attentive. They offer expansive specialized coverage for spirits, complemented by a range of services designed to preserve long-term value. As a Big “I" member you can access this market through Big “I" Markets.
Here are some helpful hints to share with your clients to care for their whiskey collection:
- Whiskey should be kept in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. Heat and dramatic temperature swings can pose significant problems, forcing evaporation and damaging seals.
- The relative humidity (rh) for storage should remain as constant as possible; anything too low or too high could harm corks and labels. Be aware that some wine cellars are kept humid for wine corks, but that same humidity can damage cardboard or wood packaging.
- Packaging is tied to value, so check bottles regularly to ensure that no mold or staining is present. If you have a moldy or musty natural cellar, consider storing spirits elsewhere.
- If your home cannot provide the conditions optimal for aging your collection, consider renting space at a specialty storage facility.
- Always store bottles at least 8 inches off the ground to avoid damage from floods or leaks.
- Store bottles upright so the alcohol won't damage the cork and seal.
- Never store chemicals, paint or odorous materials near your collection.
- Avoid storing bottles in areas subject to vibrations, such as beneath or next to a home theater.
- Install a central alarm system in your storage area that will detect threats from theft, fire, moisture and temperature fluctuation. The most up-to-date alarm systems can even send alerts directly to your mobile device.
AIG's Private Client Program is available to registered Big “I" Markets agents in all states. Log in to Big “I" Markets and select Affluent Program - New Business to learn more.