Each year, the Big “I" recognizes two states for their membership efforts—this year, both winners show that the key to good business is relationships.
The 2020 Membership Growth Award is presented to the state with the highest percentage of growth year over year. The Alaska Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers took the win with an 8.5% growth. Executive Director Kristen Taylor credits most of their growth to the steadfast and positive leadership of their Board of Directors, their Young Agents community and good relationships. Perpetuation is top-of-mind in the state, and many agencies have thoughtful plans in place and rising agency owners are in-tune to the association and the wealth of support independent agents provide each other.
The 2020 Membership Champion Award was presented to the Michigan Association of Insurance Agents. The association has created a process and prioritized connecting with members personally throughout the year—especially if they haven't engaged with them recently. And when no-fault auto reform created havoc in the marketplace, the association was there, building a members-only toolkit to help agents serve their clients.
The Big “I" national Young Agents also presented the 2020 Outstanding Young Agents Committee of the Year awards in the following categories:
- Political Involvement. For outstanding achievement in promoting Young Agent involvement in the legislative process.
Winner: Young Agents of Kansas
- Invest ℠ Supporter. For outstanding achievement in promoting Young Agent involvement in Invest.
Winner: Georgia Young Agents Committee
- Membership Development. For excellent achievement in recruiting and maintaining Young Agent participation in association activities.
Winners: Massachusetts Young Agents Committee and iLEAD (Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina)
- Community Service. For outstanding achievement in a service project that benefits the community, the insurance industry, and/or the independent agency system.
Winners: Massachusetts Young Agents Committee and Insurors of Tennessee Young Agents Committee
- Young Agents Meeting. For excellence in providing and promoting an annual Young Agents meeting.
Winner: iLEAD (Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina)
- Breakthrough YAC. A special recognition of a state that is working hard to engage the next generation.
Winner: Young Agents Committee of Oklahoma
- 2020 Young Agents Committee of the Year. In recognition of the outstanding efforts of the state Young Agents Committee to foster association growth and secure the future of the independent agency system.
Winner: Michigan Young Agents
The 2020 individual award winners are:
- Young Agents State Liaison of the Year: Mallory Cornell, Independent Insurance Agents of Wisconsin
- Young Agent of the Year: Ben Rathbun, Rathbun Insurance, Lansing, Michigan
- Young Agent Champion: Lisa Lemanski, Meiers Lombardini Lemanski Insurance, East Lansing, Michigan
- Young Agent Champion: Zak Morken, Adams Insurance Advisors, Ogallala, Nebraska
- Big “I" National Young Agents Committee Service Award: Jared Blackwood, Bain Agency, Bismarck, North Dakota