Worldly and Not-So-Worldly Wisdom
Author: Chris Boggs
Several months ago I published a list of some of the best wisdom I have learned over my career. Since then, I have been adding to the list. I wanted to share all my new nuggets of knowledge with you. Know also, that I'm interested in yours. If you send me deep thoughts, I will add them for a future article; and I will give you credit if you desire.
Following are the most current words of wisdom (no repeats).
- We cannot pass judgement on past actions based upon today's ethics.
- “Adulting" is a fictionalized term for “Accepting Responsibility for Your Own Life and Actions."
- Political Correctness is a bully that does not allow the real problem to be discussed or solved.
- You did things you will never tell your kids about. The same goes for YOUR parents.
- Hate makes it difficult to listen. Hate makes it difficult to be heard.
- There are two types of pride. One that makes you think you are better than everyone else; such pride is ultimately fatal. One that allows you to realize that no one is better than you; this pride gives you the freedom to soar.
- Negotiation is two people pushing towards the same goal from opposite directions. Conflict is just two people pushing.
- The value of the sign is not the sign but what it points to.
- Everyone is the same height at the foot of the cross.
- Sometimes avoiding the pothole is more dangerous and damaging than running through it.
- Sinless and perfect are not synonymous. You can be sinless without being perfect; and you can be perfect without being sinless.
- The world is too big a place to be in competition with everybody.
- The only person I am required to be better than is the person I am today.
- If I could go back and change the choices I made, would I? After all, the choices I made are the choices that made me who and what I am.
- Disappointment is a function of expectation.
- The surest way to cripple an able-bodied man is to make it so he doesn't have to work.
- When other countries are protesting your leader in times of peace, you have a good leader. When other countries are celebrating your leader in times of peace, that's bad for your country.
- If no one is talking about you, you aren't accomplishing anything.
- Love and patriotism grow from sacrifice. Hate and apathy emerge from being given everything.
- If you give people everything they “want," you can take away everything they need – particularly freedom.
- The most intolerant people are those who scream for tolerance.
- If another person must agree with you about everything to be your friend, then you probably have no true friends.
- I don't have to agree with you to like you. Neither do I have to like you just because I agree with you.
- I can fear it, fight against it, take flight to escape it, or have faith to face it.
- To win in politics, you don't have to win the majority, you only have to win the margin.
- Scarcity creates community.
- Knowledge is powerless until it is applied.
- There is no reason to lay awake all night worrying about what might happen. What's going to happen is going to happen and there isn't a dang thing I can do about it at 2:30 in the morning.
- Practice doesn't make perfect unless your practice is perfect.
- A list of “The 7 Deadly Sins" is not written in the Bible, but they are written in every man.
- I don't break the rules, but I like to know how in case it becomes necessary.
- If you look hard enough for evil, you are sure to find it. If you look hard enough for good, you are sure to find it.
- Statistics is a powerful tool. Be careful, though, statistical “facts" can be used to prove almost anything. (Refer to the wisdom of looking for evil versus looking for good.) To put it another way, figures don't lie and liars figure.
- Age forces a certain amount of wisdom upon you; observation and experience completes the process.
- Experience is something you don't have until AFTER you need it.
- It's ironic that most wisdom is gained AFTER your wisdom teeth are removed.
- Memories last; money doesn't.
Last Updated: August 16, 2019