ALEXANDRIA, Virginia, Sept. 1, 2016— As Hurricane Hermine batters Florida and the Southeast, disaster experts from Trusted Choice® and the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA or the Big “I”) can discuss what consumers need to know about dealing with this storm and recovering from its wrath. Agents can explain flood insurance coverage, preparedness efforts, disaster-related claims, and can help sort through the confusion of differing insurance policies and types of coverage.
Trusted Choice® can help:
• Explain hurricane safety and flood readiness tips, including home inventory prep and utilities check-listing;
• Supply information on the National Flood Insurance Program;
• Detail safe evacuation procedures;
• Discuss how to recover from storm and flood losses, whether or not the property is insured;
• Provide tips on emergency repairs and rebuilding;
• Offer tips for “drying out” safely and replacing belongings;
• Give advice on minimizing losses and damage as waters continue to rise; and
• Provide financial information on small businesses and the uninsured.
A recent consumer survey commissioned by Trusted Choice® and the Big “I”, reveals that many homeowners lack adequate insurance coverage, do not fully understand their homeowners policies and do not have enough savings to support their households in the event of a disaster. This makes disaster recovery much more difficult.
The August 2016 homeowner survey found:
• At least 73% of respondents don’t have a flood insurance policy that is separate from their homeowners coverage;
• More than 40% of those surveyed don’t have or don’t know if they have coverage that will fully replace their belongings and home in the event of a disaster;
• At least 28% of homeowners polled do not have enough savings to support their households for even one month after a disaster if they had to leave their home. Only one-third said they could support their household for more than three months in this circumstance.
• Less than one-third of respondents have an up-to-date and complete home inventory stored away from their premises.
To request an interview with a national spokesperson or a Trusted Choice® insurance agent in your area, please contact Sue Nester (broadcast), (703) 706-5448, firstname.lastname@example.org or Margarita Tapia (print and online) at (703) 706-5374, email@example.com.
Trusted Choice® educates consumers about the benefits of using independent agents and brokers for their insurance needs: choice of companies, customized policies and advocacy support. Trusted Choice® is the consumer marketing identity for more than 26,000 independent insurance agencies and brokerage firms and 70 leading insurance companies. For more information, go to www.TrustedChoice.com.
Founded in 1896, the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA or the Big “I”), is the nation’s oldest and largest national association of independent insurance agents and brokers, representing a network of approximately a quarter of a million independent insurance agents, brokers and their employees nationally. Its members are businesses that offer customers a choice of policies from a variety of insurance companies. Independent agents and brokers offer all lines of insurance—property, casualty, life and health—as well as employee benefit plans and retirement products. Web address: www.independentagent.com.
# # #